- Tattoos are either administered to the epidermis of the skin (temporary tattoos), or the dermis (permanent tattoos). Another tattoo that typically exists in the dermis is known as traumatic tattoos, but these are a bit different from the other two as they are not intentional. If a substance such as sand, asphalt, or even graphene gets stuck in the skin as it heals over, and creates a lesion that appears black or blue.
- Permanent tattoos also do stain the upper epidermis, but this staining as well as temporary tattoos are just that, temporary. The epidermis’ dead cells are always shedding and being restored, so a temporary tattoo and any ink in the epidermis from a permanent tattoo will be gone after 1-2 weeks. The dermis, however, does not do this, so the ink from a permanent tattoo is stuck there. This ink penetrating the dermis provokes an immune response, and macrophages, cells that protect the body by ingesting pathogens, ingest the ink particles. Over time, the ink will be broken down, causing the tattoo to fade, but most macrophages will get stuck, since the particles are too large to ingest. It is the ink stuck in these macrophages that creates the ‘permanent’ tattoo.
What is it?
- PicoSure treatments enhance these natural collagen and elastin-producing processes through Skin Cell Activation, the secret behind the PicoSure rejuvenation process. PicoSure is a laser treatment system by Cynosure. The treatment uses Q-Switched laser technology, or a laser that emits rapid, powerful beams of laser energy. Each pulse of laser energy from PicoSure breaks apart pigment within your skin and causes it to disperse. After treatment, your body absorbs the smaller pigment particles over the course of 4-8 weeks.
What are the benefits?
- Remove tattoos easily and more effectively than laser removal
- Natural-looking and long-lasting results
- Works on all skin types
Are there any risks?
- Redness and sensitive skin for a couple hours after treatment
How long does the treatment take?
- Treatment only takes 10-15 minutes. Results become clear a few weeks after treatment.
What is the downtime after treatment?
- There is no downtime, so you can walk out of our office and get on with your day!